Really guys, we've so proved we can make amazing dishes without all the gluten and carbs. Why are we so surprised when it really does taste great. This is one of the keepers.
Of course as with most all great casseroles, this is great made the day before and then baked. Flavors just seem to kick it up a notch.
1 lb chicken-(I like thighs)
2 med eggplants-1/2" slices
1 cp sour cream
1 cp SF enchilada sauce1 med onion
2 cps jack cheese or mexican blend-divided
2 4oz can chopped green chilies
1 lg can whole black olives-optional
(what's great about the whole olives is if you don't like them or do not want the extra carbs you can just pick them out and give them to the olive lover in the family)
- Bring chicken and just enough water to cover to boil on stove top. Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 min. Take chicken out of pot and set aside to cool a bit. When cooled to enough to handle, shred or dice.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise 1/2" thick. Brush both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Broil on low until soft, turning over mid way. about 15 minutes on each side depending on your broiler. Watch carefully.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all other ingredients except 1/2 of cheese. Stir together until mixed well.
- In a casserole dish or dutch oven layer beginning with eggplant, chicken, sauce. Repeat.
- Bake covered for 40 minutes. Uncover and add cheese to top continue cooking 15 minutes. Let rest for 15-20 minutes to firm up.